From:
Denise Hubler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:25:01 -0500
Hi fellow beekeepers,
  In the recent past I've alluded to the fact that I think I may have a
problem with a possum in my bee yard. Today the temps finally reached above
50 so as soon as I got home from  work I headed to the apiary to try and
determine if the rest of my hives survived the last cold snap. As I
approached the back row of hives, I heard a rustling in the leaves. Then I
saw a possum in front of the front row of hives. He was actually at the
entrance of one of my viable hives--it appeared that he had just been
stung, because he kept pawing at his head and then would rub his front paws
together in agitation. I saw a couple of bees coming at his face, he
snapped at them and devoured them.  I have all my hives closed down so only
one bee can come and go at a time since I've been having some robbing
problems. My impression was that this possum was sitting there waiting for
bees to come out, grabbing them and eating them. That is what my intuition
tells me anyway. I have noticed an animal trail following the line of hives
in the front. I should also mention, I've closed up the dead hives with
leaves and am finding these leaves pulled out AND the mouse guards I'm
using to keep the openings in the hive diminished are being pulled out.Yes,
I do have raccoons (one is an albino) and they could be doing some of the
damage.This is the second time I've seen this possum in the apiary-I think
I've found his den within 20 feet of the bee yard under a flat rock.
   Any thouhts on this  from you all with more experience?
Thanks,
Denise
Luna Apiaries
Kentucky