From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:32:24 -0500
We've had a choice for bee feed, a mostly GMO based corn syrup ( HFCS  ) or a non GMO based sugar
blend typically based from sugar beets (sugar blend also has HFCS added)

FWIW, starting this season GMO sugar beets will be grown in my region MN, Nodak.

Another related change is the EPA increased the allowable amount of glyphosate (the active
ingredient in Roundup) residues on sugar beet roots by a whopping 5000% at the time USDA allowed
the growing of GMO sugar beets.

http://www.npr.org/templates/s.....d=18817571

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11.....amp;st=nyt

"It would be the first new type of genetically engineered food crop widely grown since the 1990s,
when biotech soybeans, corn and a few other crops entered the market."

Of course like some of the other Ag related changes we face as beekeepers our government has
assured us that this is no big deal and conventional sugar beet sugar is no different then non-GMO
sugar beet sugar.