From:
Guy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:21:44 -0400
At 09:38 PM 4/10/97 +0100, you wrote:

>Is this a rural vs. suburban thing, or am I calling the wrong folk?
>
>Greg

>Greg Hankins                       Mt. Gilead, NC

I think it may be an urban thing.  I'm in Charlottesville, Virginia, and our
bee club sends an annual letter to the 911 service and the county extension
agent's office for the surrounding county, listing ten or so folks who are
willing to make an attempt, if they have time, etc., and every year we get a
number of calls.  Many calls are from very alarmed city dwellers.  I suspect
that the folks who call from the rural parts of the county do it because
they believe they are doing us, and the bees, a favor - which they are. Year
before last I got 6 calls in the city, and brought home 4.  The others were
to high for me, and I completed the call by telling them not to worry, thar
the bees wouldn't hurt them and they would go away soon.  Mixed in with
honey bee calls are a few for yellow jackets etc.  There is a guy in town
who holds himself out as one who will get rid of pests - skunks, bees,
snakes etc.  If I find a yellow jackets nest, I usually tell the owner what
they are and suggest they call the pest guy.  I understand he charges about
$25 to do it, and that's probably reasonable.  He has called me once when it
was honeybees that someone wanted him to get rid of.  None of the beekeepers
charge for gathering swarms or for the trip, even if they turn out to be
something other than honeybees.

Guy F. Miller   My fashion theory:      If you walk slow enough,
Charlottesville. VA                     you can lead the next parade.