From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 06:01:39 -0800
I needed an easy "A" to boost my grade point average in college while attending Iowa State University in Ames, IA.

My advisor and I poured over the electives, trying to find the easiest class.  Entomology 222 taught by Richard Trump caught my eye.  Having been raised by parents who grew up on farms in Minnesota during the Great Depression, I had a lot of background that made this class look like a piece of cake.

Classroom lectures on Tuesdays, bee yards on Thursdays.  Mr. Trump said if you didn't get stung, you weren't working the bees and you'd get an "F".  If you got stung you got an "A" (no "B's" were given).  We all got "A's".

He made the class so interesting that I decided I was going to integrate and coordinate a bee enterprise into my planned farm operation after graduation.  That's what got me started, but life has a funny way of taking some unplanned detours.  I'm not farming, but honey production is a major part of my life and income.

Grant
Jackson, MO