From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:49:10 -0400
This winter I'm working on a couple of projects.  My brother would like to
keep a hive or two down in Indiana, but he has a degenerative back
condition and he really shouldn't even lift a full shallow so I'm working
on some plans.  I run mostly mediums (a couple deeps out there that need to
be converted yet) for interchangeability and because I like to do
foundationless occasionally (Mediums are just more stable).  I've got two
plans in mind currently to try.  I was going to try a five foot medium
frame horizontal because it would be easy to slap together for starters.
My ultimate goal is to make an Eastern European style vertical hive that
holds medium frames that can be accessed from the back.  Really the only
way it's going to be practical for him is if he can do single frame
manipulation for everything.  The vertical style will be much harder to
build, but you could keep the three deep configuration that way.  My
understanding is that they tend to extract smaller quantities of honey more
often because they have less room in a beehouse, but can easily pull
individual frames without bothering the bees as much.  I found a website
with a few pics.  I'm going to try building the hive for outdoor use, I
won't be building a whole beehouse.
http://brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/bee-houses-from-eastern-europe-to-oak-harbor-washington/

Jeremy
West Michigan