Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:57:31 -0500
Hi Kristina, thanks for your response...yea this is why it's such a mystery, up to the point that we realized the bees were gone ~ about the 11th of November ~ they appeared content, clean, active ~ they were an integral part of our front deck and yard with an eastern exposure. We're in the Monterey Bay area of Central California and the weather has been extremely mild. There is a drought, there are also skunks and possums, racoons, but I simply have not found any evidence of predation. Examination of the left over hive didn't reveal any internal issues such as mites, bacteria...it was very fresh, capped with evidence of healthy brood, and the honey left which I harvested and got 3+ qts. was really exceptional. I got the bees and hive from an experienced beekeeper, in June and lost them in November. the beekeeper who sold me the hive said several other local hives had absconded, and two weeks later he lost two hives. He said there was nothing I did incorrectly, however, I'd really like to get as much insight into this as I plan to get a couple of spring swarms and I'd like to cultivate these hives...