From:
John Wilkerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 08:21:59 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi
> John,                                                                   In
> reading the portion of your letter that's below did you ever try the
> metal frame spacers ?

My hives have no recessed lip for the top bars to rest in.  They simply rest on the top edge of the box and are in turn covered by a piece of edged plywood to keep the elements out.
The Top bars are 1 3/8 inch exact in width and I place them side by side the length of the hive box.  If I were to use the steel alignment racks, I would have to make a recessed channel
in the hive or shorten the top bars.  I have thought about doing this but decided against it because when the cover is removed I would then have 15 to 30 open frams of bees looking up
at me.  Granted reassembly of the hive would probably be easier, but I just keep a few hives and find the extra time to not be a problem.  I do this just as a hobby and to help my fruit
trees and garden.

> How many T.B.H.'s do you have now ?

This is my first year and am keeping two hives and have an extra that I will use to raise queens in next year.  I might increase the number on up around 5 but I live in town and don't
want problems with the neighbors.  So far they seem to appreciate the bees, but with the rash of hornet and yellow jacket stings this year I am hesitant to be overly visable.

> It seems that with proper top bar rotation mites should be kept down quite well. Do you do that  and if so is this a sound observation?

I do not understand the connection between rotating the combs and mite control?

John