From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 22:07:54 -0700
Hi All,

When I'm not spending time watching Bob and Pete hammer on each other, I'm
actually producing honey and running scientific trials!

Yesterday I finished an early summer trial of the new Miteaway Quick Strips
formic acid strips, after having beekeepers call me with reports of queen
losses.

I ran four different treatments in a controlled trial, at the beginning of
the honey flow, double deeps, about 9-10 frames of bees, second yr queens,
3/8" beeways, warm to hot weather.

1.  Two strips per instructions. n = 6
2.  Two strips, with upper box set back 3/4" for added ventilation front and
rear, as per mfr suggestion.  n = 6
3.  One strip, no set back.  n = 2, the two hives with the highest mite
levels
4.  Control-- sham treatments of folded printer paper.  n = 6

I measured mite levels by alcohol wash and hive weights at Day 0 and Day 28.

Short results (to be published in full in ABJ):
No increased queen failure.
Queens shut down for 4-5 days, then resumed egg laying with vigor.
Some sealed brood kill, most brood kill in 2-strip, no setback.

Mite reduction was VERY GOOD in 2- or 1-strip treatments, good in setback;
mites doubled in controls.

Max honey production in setbacks, slightly less in single strip.  Controls
and normal 2-strip treatment tied for least honey.  Difference in medians
(to account for outliers) was 29 lbs vs 23 lbs (honey flow was not over, top
boxes were nearly full, so ended trial).

reduce honey production a little if applied shortly before the flow (if
applied at 2-strip rate without ventilation).

As with any new product, beekeepers will want to learn to fine tune.
I am very excited about the results with only one strip, although the
manufacturer strongly suggests using two strips for good mite kill.  I only
tested the 1-strip application on two hives, so cannot stand behind those
results.  But if I had supers on right now, and wanted to set the mites
back, I'd personally try a single strip.  This is not a recommendation of
any sort!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA