From:
Tony Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 19:25:48 -0700
>Someone has told me that bears will stay away from barking dogs, but I had not
>heard the advice about the radio.  Is it, then, any kind of "other animal"
noise
>that deters them?.......music or talk equally effective?.....Jazz, hard
rock, or
>classical?

        Several commercial beekeepers use radios in each bee yard and no
longer strap hives or use electrical fencing except in special cases. I
suppose talk radio is the station of choice. Often we don't have a choice
since there is poor reception in the narrow mountain valleys here in central
Vancouver Island. In these valleys we often have several resident bears,
they don't seem to get used to the radio sounds.

        I must be conservative. My bees are secured to pallets with steel
banding and have a radio tuned to Dr. Laura, and an electric fence. So far
no problems. Electric fencing will not keep out a determined bear. Many
recomend baiting a new fence with aluminum foil on the wire and coated with
a mixture of peanut butter and cooking oil. This form of aversion therapy
will keep the bear away for the rest of the summer I think.

        Each time I drive up the logging road to visit the bee yard there
are large piles of bear dung on the road so they are in the area. so far
this year no problem.

     Tony Dixon