From:
David Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 19:25:44 -0400
>Date:    Thu, 17 Aug 1995 15:22:51 -0400
>From:    Kevin Mentzer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Average # bee stings

>     In the past week I have seen several references to a survey done that
>      stated that the average beekeeper gets stung 500 times a year.  Anyone
>     want to verify this or laugh at it?  I forget what the study was, but
>     I do remember the little fact popping up on the headline news.  I saw
>     it somewhere else as well but can't remember where right now.  Not
>     that this is going to discourage me from getting into beekeeping (I'll
>     just look for a kinder and gentler colony :) ).
>
>     Kevin

Kevin,
The results you read about are from a decidely unscientific 'survey' done by
a bee company as a promotion for a new honey beer.  It was mailed to lots of
beekeepers - I don't know where they got there list.  It was just a
promotional thing with no real statistical basis.

Like others have said, the number of stings depend on the bees themselves,
your skill, number of hives, how often you work them, etc.  Hobbyist don't
get stung that often, that's why there are so many practioners of a hobby
with a decidely difficult side to it.

With care, attention to what you and the bees are doing, and the ability to
learn when the bees tell you not to do something, you shouldn't get many
stings at all.

Beekeeping is a lot of fun and bees are endlessly fascinating.  Your friends
and coworkers will either think you are crazy as a long or brave as a lion
for doing this.  Good luck.

David Morris