From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:39:08 -0500
Dear Dr. Rodriquez,

I used FGMO all season here in Maryland USA.  I did start off very early
this season though with Apistan strips.  I did not detect any varroa mites
after the use of the strips.  I have not used any other anything in the
hives that I have.  (12)  The hives looked good the last time I inspected
them for the winter.   This has been done by me before with varying degrees
of success.  I tried several things that came down the pike and do not like
to use some chemicals.   Why I like to do this and put my bees in jepardy I
do not know.  Each time I have tried something new I get my hopes up only
to find that it was not satisfactory.

After first reading about your MO experiments, it seemed to be a logical
choice to try.  Partly because the explaination of how the oil would work
on the mites (both).  Also because it was safer to use than others.  Who
wants to put something in a hive for the bees and MYSELF to eat that you
have to wear gloves to put it into the hive.  The availability is also a
nice factor.  And the price is right.  So I went  with it!!!

Checks that I have made so far did not detect any mites.  Mostly all that I
did was to look at brood.  Mostly drone brood.  No mites.  I must confess
that I was not able to go to all of my hives in the prescribed intervals.
And now of course the bees are clustered most of the time and I will not be
bothering them until we get a nice warm day and that may not be for awhile
here.

Now for the rest of the story.  My losses of bees almost always have been
through the winter.  Certainly not all of my losses have been to the mites,
but am sure most have.  I had 40 some hives at one time and have been doing
bees for over 25 years - no brag just  fact.  Now I must wait until late
winter to see what has been accomplished.  Will I let you know? - You
Bet!!!

billy bee