From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:23:36 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Truesdell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 5:06 AM
Subject: [BEE-L] IPM and Beekeeping

> James Fischer wrote:

> > I honestly don't know.  The usual IPM models of pest/crop interaction
> > don't seem to apply well to beekeeping, as some hives are clearly more
> > infested than others for no apparent reason.  IPM models assume a much
> > more homogenous dispersal of pests within the "crop" than beekeepers
> > have among hives.
>
> Stating the obvious, IPM is not just when to apply pesticides but also
> the rotation of controls, development of resistant crops, genetic
> modification, use of biological controls, use of weather/temperature,
> etc.. It is Integrated. > Bill Truesdell
> Bath, Maine

 Hi Bill Jim and All,
 IPM will be a changing system for all beekeepers. The overall umbrella will
stay the same.
Techniques will change as we learn more.
We have a very large problem in beekeeping.Genetics in bees gives us a vast
variance in behavior.. Then take in the variance in the environment in
different locations. That right there should show you that there is no
straight line for beekeepers Parts of IPM will work all over. Some will not.
Beekeepers will not get a front row seat in ag. One , we are too laid back
by nature.Type "A" people do not do bees.
We do help and make it possible for the type A's to make there money by our
pollination  work.
We must have researchers working on our problems all the time. Some of that
is going on and we should be thankful for it. No silver bullet , just more
knowledge. We will have to work with what we have. Beekeepers all over the
world are having problems. IPM is the best route to go. How that worked out
is up to us. Keep the big organizations pushing for help.
Beekeepers are lucky. They have to love what they do. That is not a bad
job.Think about the person at Microsoft in there little cubical looking at a
screen all day. I know hundreds of them. They envy the pictures of my
office. The Olympic Mountains..
 Enjoy the trip.
Best Regards
Roy