text/plain (63 lines)
allen dick wrote:

> The genome mapping in question here is for purposes of understanding life in
> general.  Thus representative species from different branches of life have
> been selected, and the honeybee has been chosen because of an number of
> factors, one being its social nature.   It is expected that having this map
> will result in many new discoveries and applications,
>

So, accepting that the mapping primary objective is for the good of us all (Human advancement et
al.). The last sentence also exhibits indications of what is possible from the information gained.

A list of base combinations will be published, reshuffled from time to time and investigated until
their meaning is apparent.

I suggest that once the base sequences add up to "this parcel does this and that section
directs.....", there will be individuals (groups) willing to exploit.
Exploitation need not be taken as the negative mode!

Knowledge does not remain on a shelf. It will be used - as a stepping stone by other domains and
sectors, and by the bee industry.

As I previously stated, the jump from knowing the sequence to using it to our advantage will be a
leap.
Whether programs will be put into place using the knowledge gained in an isolated manner - i.e.
knowing what does what resulting in breeding programs starting from zero base, or it being used to
build on already defined requirements (enhancement towards the majestic V.d resistant bee), I
presume the latter will be the case.

I do not envisage the industry being left in the backwaters due to the lack of market or talent. How
come there is and always has been dedicated work done on honey bees?
I suggest that this attitude will leave us open to be taken unawares - and result in the lack of a
proactive situation to develop.

Realising that the precise future cannot be seen -  the indicators are fairly clear.

Whilst other sectors are already investigating the possibility of the removal of traditional
pollination mechanisms (remember bees are already not welcome in certain areas of citrus production
) our industry should be highlighting and increasing the possibilities to be gained from the
presence of bees.
It is well recognised that pollination at the present is a weak link for agriculturists in their
production cycle - one that is being increasing placed under pressure (pesticides, lack in
availability, cost, timing restraints).

How long will it be considered necessary to produce rape plants that generate nectar (would it not
be more economical if this energy rich material was diverted directly into oil in seed).

So, if a jump from genome knowledge to application is possible in the future - then we should be
ready, asking for the development of bees that only see yellow flowers (dedicated rape pollination),
fly during low temperatures, with restricted ranges, collecting nectars with known ranges of sugar
concentrations etc. etc. (I do like putting etc. etc.!).

Once in a while it is good to write a mail where the imagination is a free spirit and the contents
maybe considered pie in the sky - but out there there are many pushing what was considered
ridiculous only a few years ago.

Regards,
Peter

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2