From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2017 21:44:37 -0400
So far so good--no further complaints from the ground, although I have my suspicions on which hive is overly defensive after checking and adding supers yesterday. My biggest colonies certainly have guard bees to spare. Whether it is colony size or genetics, I will have to pay more attention to determine which affects behavior more.

The connex container hasn't been opened, so no one has been banging around under the hives. My husband has been on the ground beside the connex separating hard fiberglass jackets (for bridge piling repairs), and that is an abrasive noise.

I haven't noticed unusual behavior on the roof, so it is hard to blame chemical exposure, but I did just notice a neighbor within a half mile that is proudly displaying his "Mosquito Joe" sign in the yard. I need to research that one.

I have been trying to maximize colony size for honey, but for safety's sake where I have my apiary, I think I will need to split more and keep the nicest bees.

Thanks for the help.

Debbie in Maryland