From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:01:55 -0500
Hello Bill & All,
Bill wrote:
 it could be we are having a reverse  selection process going on in Texas,
where the bees could be AHB but the  selection is for gentleness. We
certainly do that with our own bees,  regardless of race.
Bob wrote:
I have done as the beekeepers in Texas talked about with aggressive bees for
many years. Each year I mark a hive for replacement if overly aggressive.
This year I requeened some of last years best queens. Some of the hives I
relocated to see if their disposition improved. Those of you which have
worked bees with me know I can take as many stings as the next guy but
aggressive bees cause problems on farms and make yards unpleasant to work.
Sadly many of the best producers seem to be the aggressive hives.
Point is I have got a orchard full of nucs which I just came in from
working. People helping me find out real quick which nucs come from those
aggressive hives. The nucs from the aggressive hives were made by splitting
the complete hive three ways. Those hives had around 9 frames of brood when
I eliminated the hive. I killed the queens three weeks ago and left the
three nucs queenless for 48 hours. I put in new queens and those hives were
the only hives which had poor queen acceptance. I tried a few second queens
but now I am requeening with established nucs. Same batch of queens queen
only given as a nuc inside a single deep instead of just a queen in a cage.
Queen cells work good for aggressive hives but couldn't get those in
Missouri three weeks ago. Another 27 days and I expect to start seeing  a
attitude change on those hives. Hopefully!
Bob