From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:03:14 -0400
> On Fri, 20 Oct 1995, Logan Vanleigh wrote:
>
> > I have two colonies in E TN that are a bit weak on stores and feel I may
> > need to feed them possibly thru the winter.  Having just returned to
> > beekeeping I have no frames of honey to give them.  I seem to recall a
> > discussion some months ago about in-hive feeders 'on the cheap'.  I don't
> > have division board feeders.  Are there reasonable (all opinions
> > appreciated) home-made alternatives for providing in-hive feeding during the
> > winter.
>
> Our bee inspector's (Bart Smih's) favorite method  of supplemental feeding:
>    Use a 1 gal. ZipLoc bag filled 3/4 with sugar syrup.  Close top
> getting as much of the remaining air out as possible.  Lay the bag flat on
> top of the top bars and cut a slit in the middle (top side) of the
> flattened bag.   The syrup will not run out!  The bees climb on top of
> the bag and suck the syrup out until the bag is completely empty.  Put a
> shallow super over this arrangement and cover the hive.  Easy, huh?
>
> John Moyer, Maryland Beekeeper

  DID U C THE ARTICLE, "FEEDERS: THE FULL STORY--For the
 `beeginner' who wants the full scoop on all types of
  feeders, past and present," IN AMER BEE JOURNAL (SEP
  95, PP 609-612, W/ 8 FOTOS)?

  Jack the B-man

John Iannuzzi PhD            | "Singing masons building roofs
9772 Old Annapolis Rd        |  of gold."
Ellicott City (founded 1772) |             --Shakespeare
Maryland usa 21042           |
Hobbyist - 20 hives!         | Italian bees (19oct95 0900)
[log in to unmask]   | 3-1/2 decades a B-man