From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:00:49 -0400
> I don't think a beekeeper will spend money without expecting and gaining benefit in return. In my experience If he does not see he will not spend it.

Same specious argument as Bob's. That's why we have oversight, because people *will* use non-efficacious products.

Meanwhile:

The FDA unveiled a proposal this week to provide more information in its annual reports on the volume of antimicrobials sold for use in food animals, including whether the drugs are used to promote growth or treat illness.

Under a 2008 law, drug companies must report to the FDA each year the amount of antimicrobials they sell for use in food animals, and the agency must publish summaries of the data by antimicrobial class, the FDA noted in a news release. The requirements are based on the concern that antibiotic use in animals promotes drug-resistant pathogens.

Last July the agency asked for public comments on ways to enhance the existing requirements on collection of sales data and on how to make its annual reports to the public more clear and detailed. Many commenters suggested that the FDA separate sales data by route of drug administration, dispensing status, and whether drugs are used for treatment or growth promotion, the agency said.

The FDA said it is now proposing to expand the current sales data by drug class to include information on the importance of the drug in human medicine. In addition, it will provide aggregate data on how medications are administered, whether they are sold over the counter or require veterinary oversight, and whether they are used as treatments, growth promoters, or both.