From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:20:11 -0700
> Whether an individual beekeeper created a resistant strain of AFB and
> it spread -- or it is being generated simultaneously by many, is a
> moot point, once it becomes widespread. What to do about it is much
> more important.

It might seem that way, but knowing your enemy is always important, if you want
to make an appropriate response and choose the correct weapons.

In countries where the new variety of AFB is not yet appearing, I think it is of
very great importance to know the cause.  Mere speculation will not do, since
some of the speculation is that one of our best weapons is the cause!  If that
speculation is wrong, then we will deprive ourselves of a good defence for no
good reason.

Also, in deciding what to do, knowing if it is a single mutation spreading out
from one point or being generated repeatedly at different sites due to some new
management technique or environmental factor is absolutely essential.

allen