Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2015 23:30:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I've been fussing about declining queen longevity in my small operation for a few years now. In the 90's it seemed that many of the queens would live a couple or more years. I've lost all my notes from that period, so I can't specify. But from shortly after varroa hit (1998 - 99) I noticed that there seemed to be more supercedure and also more drone layers and bees that would make it through the winter but then be unable to lay.  However, I would still pretty regularly see 2 and 3 year old queens, and most queens would live at least a year. It's only in the past 5 years that this has changed. Spring time virgins, laying well initially, gone by August or September or the following spring.
However, it seems I have more longevity in my queens than some.  Last year, after a very bad Ontario winter, I had 9 survivors (of 45), 8 of which were 2013 queens. One was 2011. All lived the year and (just got out to check and feed this week, as it's warmed up some) seem to have lived through the winter (though whether they lay is of course another matter). 

No miticides whatsoever since about 05 (formic).  Mite control via trapping, and various tricks to keep drone production low. I never kill a queen (too soft-hearted I guess), though if one isn't laying well I'll shift her over to a nuc and and watch what happens. Old queens I sort of prize, and cheer them on. I particularly like it when, upon supercedure, the old queen hangs around cohabiting with her daughter (or, in a couple of instances, daughters).

We are an organically run operation. So, no pesticides in the hives or on the grounds. I've also done some urban beekeeping, which in some ways has even less pesticide than the farms, since the province banned cosmetic pesticides 6 years ago. At the farms  there are, of course, neighbouring farms that do use pesticides.  Lots of corn and soy near some of them. Canola near some others.

I have wondered, as it seems some of my fellow Ontario beekeepers have also, about neonics (sorry Charles). Seems to me the question needs to be asked.
I'm not saying that's the problem. I don't know what the problem is. But I think we might look at this as a rather large experiment. If Ontario beekeepers don't see any difference in any aspect of beekeeping within a few years, including queen mortality, that too should tell us something.

Stephen Rice

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2