From:
JOHN GRIMSHAW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 18:44:12 -0700
Pete said:"By opting out of treatment, you can cut easily production in half, if that's what you want.
There's a kernel of truth here.By not treating for mites,I'm sure I take a hit on honey production.I'm sure my winter losses are larger.
So what.   I just run 30%(random number) more hives,with less work.Why count mites?    The colonies that can't deal with mites won't last the winter and don't contribute to the gene pool when I make splits in the spring.Like Randy says(and I'm paraphrasing here),as long as recruitment(increase) is greater than attrition(loss),I'm fine.
My production hives last about 3-4 years and nucs are made from swarm cells,swarms and purchased queens from other no treatment beeks.
I find my per hive honey yield is influenced more by environmental factors than anything else.This year the locust buds froze and they didn't flower.I'm expecting about 60# avg.2 years ago cold temps kept locust blooming almost 3 weeks. 100# avg   I'm counting just production hives and not nucs.
Background:N.central CT.  Russian mutts. I try to go into winter with about 20 hivesBee haver from 1978 'til 2000.   No treatments since 2004.My day job is seasonal,strenuous and at times frustrating.Beekeeping is my sanity and gives me a little cash on the side.Plus I have met the most wonderful people through beekeeping.
Jack Grimshaw