From:
"(Rick Hough)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1992 10:52:17 EST
Doug - thank you for your response to my posting over the weekend.  I guess
it shows that I haven't spent as much time as I need to educating myself
about Africanized bees.  When I said that we (beekeepers) need to educate
the public about African bees, I really should have mentioned that first, we
need to educate ourselves!!

Thank you also for widening my focus - I really had been thinking about
African Bees from the rather selfish point of view of "how will they affect
my apiaries, and my hobby", rather than taking the larger (and more important)
view of how they impact the general public - the accidental agitation of
a feral Africanized colony being an exellent example.

Another item to throw into the fray - has anyone thought very hard about
how the migratory beekeeping industry will impact the movement of Africanized
Bees in the USA??  I think that the massive movement of bees that results
from this industry is rather unique to the U.S., and I wonder how it will
affect us.  I've heard that the rapid spread of Tracheal and Varroa mites
in the US has been attributed (at least in part) to this unique feature
of American beekeeping.

RIck Hough
Hamilton, MA, USA (just NE of Boston)
Internet: [log in to unmask]