From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:02:20 +0100
Jason Buchanan qwrite on 25 April: "I apologize for sending a  "diary" of my
activities but am tossing my "Bee work habits" out there
 to those of you with experience to tell me if this is the wrong way or
right way to go about things."  No, you should.  But the picture that is
emerging on this list of the way beginners have been advised by people
(unknown) of establishing a new bee colony is absolutely horrific.

Before starting to look after a colony,  have u been to any bee course or
read any bee books?  This is not just being clever - it is a serious attempt
to get to grips with what is going on in the hobbyist world. Have u gained a
firm basis in bee biology, by say reading a basic primer and then say
Winston's 'Biology of the Honeybee'?  If not, what do think bees are -
robots?

What on earth are these "BeePro ready-made Patties" ?   Do bees live
naturally in your area?  If so,do you need to rely on artificial patties at
this time!. Or do you live in a desert?   If so, you need very serious
advice on maintaining colonies for scientific purposes.  If not, for
goodness sake, trust 34 million years of evolution, not a local quack.

"lots of yellow travel marks across the wood". Your bees have a tummy upset.
They will get over it when they can fly freely.
"I also added the 10th frame".  A 10th frame?  Just how big is this colony?
I'm lost . It seemed small.   It seemed a small, unhappy lot that needed
nuturing.  A 10th frame?  Was it occupying at least 8 to 9 frames?  Just who
is guiding  you?  Are you being taken for a ride by the bee suppliers?

"the plasticell foundation"   Are your bees unnatural? A they so delibilated
they cannot build their own combs,  as they have done for 34 million years?
If so, do you think they have a great future?

Dear beekeeper, examine your beekeeping!

Robin Dartington