Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:41:29 -0600

Apparently he also said this:
> That may be so (it would be illegal here in the UK) but will do nothing
> to eliminate the spores which can remain viable for up to half a
> century, so I suspect it is a remedy recommended by the chemical
> companies looking to sell more.
>
> However, some bees do have hygienic traits that enable them to deal
> with AFB and prevent it becoming a problem.  Roger Morse once told me
> that he had colonies of bees that he found impossible to infect with
> AFB!

Anyhow, mishandled quotes notwithstanding, we have been over and over
this topic for decades here on BEE-L and nothing never seems to change
except that after two decades of 'conscious raising' and missionary work
with breeders and queen suppliers as well as some academic work, we do
indeed have a lot more strains that resist AFB breakdown in varying
degrees from not-so-well to (apparently) completely immune.

This characteristic (AFB resistance) has bled into the general North
American (NA) bee population to the point where, when inspecting, I have
not seen or heard of an entire yard breaking down with severe AFB for
three decades.  I have seen a large outfit with a few cells of ongoing
AFB in hives scattered throughout the operation, though.  Whether this
was the initial phase of a disaster or just hives handling AFB, I don't
know, but I do know that decades ago, the outbreak would not have been
so minor or easily treatable.  Several Tylosin treatments in fall will
likley restore those thousands of hives to where AFB is never seen.
(OTC works, but is pretty lame and unreliable by comparison).

Of course AFB spores will still be in the hives, but they always are in
a commercial operation.  Almost no one in North America with more than a
few yards operates in a region where there is no likelihood of another
beekeeper having or bringing in infected equipment and failing to
recognize or manage a breakdown.

Consequently, we all have to assume we have AFB spores in out hives,
whether we see AFB or not and decide which strategy to employ when an
isolated case is found or we see a few infected cells in a number of hives.

Basically, in this day and age, AFB is one more thing to blame on the
queen, so requeening is in order, as is questioning the ancestry of all
the bees in the outfit and considering switching to better stock.

Then the question is whether to destroy or treat, or both, and whether
to attempt to totally eradicate every last AFB spore or to live with and
manage the risk. I choose to treat and be vigilant.

If only one frame or hive is involved, destruction makes sense, but if
tens, hundreds or thousands of hives are involved, requeening, treatment
and improved management makes more sense to me.

IMO, no matter how draconian the measures taken, no one can be
absolutely certain that no AFB remains or that the source has been
discovered and can be eliminated.

It has been demonstrated that several sequential treatments with Tylosin
at recommended doses and timing can control AFB to the point where
recurrence is very infrequent.  So infrequent in fact, that the
likelihood of breakdown is quite comparable to the likelihood of
breakdown in new hives in many regions of NA.  We know that there are
still spores there, but good bee stock is not bothered by them.

Yards with virtually 100% of the hives broken down with severe AFB were
common in the '70s when beekeepers bought packages with sister queens
and installed a whole yard or where a beekeeper raised thousands of
queens from one poorly selected mother queen. At that time, package
producers had not yet learned to select for AFB resistance

I think we have Marla to thank for much of this raised awareness and for
showing that the trait can be fixed in bees that are not mean and for
her personal missionary work with bee suppliers, although Steve Tabor,
Jerry and others deserve credit for promoting the idea earlier on.

So, as with most beekeeping questions, there is no one right answer.
The solution is a question of economics.  The cost of one approach must
be weighed against the others, as is the probability of success and the
consequences of failure.  (What is the worst thing that could happen and
how likely is it).

If you know you are not diligent and able to spot AFB, then, by all
means, burn.  (Actually, get right out of bees, please).

If you are diligent and able to make decisions, and have a large
investment to save, then consider treating and learn how.  Then decide
based on a careful consideration of the options open to you.