From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:50:43 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Species with mean crude protein levels below 20% include: Black  she
oak, Black thistle, Blueberry, Buckwheat, Capeweed, Citrus, Eggs  and
bacon, Flat weed, Lavender, Maize, Nodding thistle, Saffron  thistle,
Silky hakea, Sunflower and Willow. If these pollens are the  dominant
or only species being collected, then it can be assumed that  the
colonies will decline in populations, particularly if they are made  to
work a medium to heavy honey flow following the feeding of this  pollen
to developing larvae and young adult  bees.>>

Does that apply to all willow species? I regard it  as a vital component for
colony buildup; I've always noticed that colonies only  really build up after
the willow becomes available. A cold spring like the last,  when the bees were
unable to work the willow, always leads to a delayed  buildup.  Once they can
work it, it's covered in bees, and I see little  else coming in until
dandelion becomes available in turn. So I'm surprised to  see that it's being
suggested that a diet of willow could lead to colony  decline!

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

Birmingham  UK