From:
Mark Coldiron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:37:35 -0500
Please forgive these very basic questions.  I'm new at beekeeping and just
can't seem to find good sound answers.

I've noticed that when I eat a spoonful of honey with a stainless steel
spoon, I can really taste the metal.  I tried several different brands of
stainless steel spoons and the taste was always very strong.  Thinking that
most honey processing equipment and storage tanks are made of stainless
steel, I thought I must be imagining things.  So, I tried a plastic spoon.
No metallic taste!!

Now I know this must sound dumb to a lot of you, but why use stainless
steel if it leaves a metallic taste?  What's wrong with plastic tanks,
troughs, etc...?  The cost sure would be a lot less.  An extractor could
have a plastic drum just like most modern washing machines do - couldn't it?

I've  also noticed that many cooking pots and utensils are made of
aluminum.  I don't seem to notice a metallic taste when I use aluminum
either.  I know aluminum reacts with anything with a high pH, that's how
soap puts the pits into your favorite aluminum pots, but mild acids don't
react much, if any.  What's wrong with using aluminum for settling tanks,
extractors, and uncapping catch troughs?

I'm sure the answers are really simple, but I'm not seeing it.  What do all
of you think?

Thanks for your patients
Mark