From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:16:20 EST
This post angered me:  "Speaking of ridiculous CCD media stories I had  to
post this...its just too funny

_http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0108/honeybees.html_
(http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0108/honeybees.html) "

Other than the over the top "HoneyBees Abducted" title, obviously  inserted
by an editor, this is a report of a CA beekeeper who lost 50% of his
operation.

Nothing funny about that, just ask Mr. Bradshaw.

In the past two weeks, we've been sampling bee operations reporting unusual
losses in CA.  We visited as many bee operations as we could  in terms of time
and travel costs - we missed several, couldn't coordinate  times, etc. - in a
perfect world we'd have sufficient resources to visit  and sample EVERY bee
operation sustaining bee losses.

Here's a brief summary of the last two weeks:

2008 CA Trip by the Numbers

·        13 operations  visited
·        153 hives  sampled
·        540 total  bee samples collected for virus and Nosema analysis

At least 12 of these operations had classic CCD symptoms.  Only one  seems to
be primarily a  mite problem - based on Scott's  observations.

Scott's report - the sample numbers listed represent a  small subset of
affected colonies - he had to limit how many he sampled in  any operation, so that
he could get to more beekeepers.  He also obtained  270 acoustic recordings
(we are exploring the use of sound to identify/diagnose  pests and diseases in
hives).

Don't tell any of these beekeepers that missing bees is funny.

Jerry

48)