Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 14:27:46 +0100
Dear Andy,

You were right to state at the end, that your opinions expressed may not be
facts.

You refer to a "sweet deal" between Sandoz and the EPA; both organisations would
take serious afront to this accusation as it is clearly untrue.

Apistan is the only product registered for use against Varroa in the USA
currently, solely because Sandoz/Zoecon was and remains the only body willing to
put up the money to do years of serious research into Varroa control and to
produce a high quality treatment. If the toxicological, pharmaceutical, residue
and efficacy data were not of a high standard, Apistan would not have been
accepted for registration in the USA; it's precisely because Sandoz has
generated this data that Apistan is registered as a Veterinary Drug in most
countries around the world.

In short, there was no "deal" between Sandoz/Zoecon and the EPA; what the EPA
did do was to respond to pressure from beekeeping groups throughout the USA who
asked for help to combat a menace which would otherwise have wiped out their
colonies, their hobby, and more importantly in many cases, their entire
livlihood.

Don't blame one company for trying to help - and yes of course making some
money, eventually - that's what business is all about. (Shouldn't need to tell
Americans that!).

However, just because one product is registered it does not prevent someone else
from generating similar data and getting another 2, 3, or however many products
registered and on the open market. But on the other hand, you cannot expect a
national regulatory body to accept poor data on safety, residue and other
aspects, especially where the end product, following treatment, is a food for
human consumption.

In Europe, other products are often used on a small scale by hobbyists - such as
formic acid, lactic acid etc; Sandoz actually recommends the use of such
alternatives to rotate with Apistan where it is legal and practical to do so. No
one product is a panacea for all ills - none are perfect but you have to make a
rational choice given the experience with and performance of such products,
together with the legality of use.

Noone is being forced to use Apistan. It's there as a useful tool if you want to
use it but everyone is free to use whatever they want - or not. It depends on
what results you want.

Max