From:
Tom Speight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:36:51 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest
processor <[log in to unmask]> writes
>English Nature that he would not be allowed to have bees
>on his site. These are the three reasons he was given:
>
>1.    DOMESTIC BEES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON AN 'SSSI'
>
>2.    BEEKEEPERS (DOMESTIC) BEES ARE MORE AGGRESSIVE - compared with
>wild bees and will compete with them for food. (This was apparently the
>major reason)
>
>3.    BEEKEEPERS BEES WILL BRING IN VARROA - they believe they can
>protect the feral colonies from varroa by keeping out beekeepers.
>
>I would like to know who on earth is advising them on these matters.

Madeleine, someone on the BBKA committee (Alan Johnson??), when trying
to promote the value of the honeybee in connection with 'Agenda 21'-
Environmental Awareness, was told by this same stupid body of people
that the honeybeebee was not important because  is not an indigenous
animal.
I suppose this proves you don't have to be intelligent to get a job as a
conservationist.
--
Tom Speight