From:
Paul Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:33:22 -0800
At 8:01 -0500 3/22/99, Bob wrote:
[snip]

>Now my
>question is, at some point I want to take the medium off and place a deep
>super on the present deep.  What do I do with the medium box and the frames
>that are full of a mix of broad and honey and I want to use mediums for
>honey only.

Pull off your supers and place the new deep super below the original deep
super on the bottom board. Brush the bees off the medium frames into the
new deep super and then place original deep super and  on the new deep.
Place the queen excluder on top of the two deep supers. This way, you are
guaranteed to have the queen below the excluder. If you get lucky and see
the queen, it will suffice to make sure she is below the excluder. Then
place the medium box on top of the excluder. Nurse bees will return to the
medium super and finish raising the brood.

Wait for the sring flow and warmer temperatures before you do this. If the
hive population is small and it is still cold, the split brood nest may not
gather enough nurse bees to keep temperatures up and finish raising the
larvae.

You may also want to come back in a couple of weeks and open up the top to
let any drones caught abote the excluder escape.

Paul