From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 18:05:20 -0800
Cam Bishop - "Interesting, picked up some dead bees in the snow yesterday
and put them under the scope. All but one were loaded with nosema. Also
took a few bees off the top board in the hive where I found the bees. They
had zero counts.

Are others noticing this or is this just a chance finding. Bees are
clustered pretty well now and not interested in disturbing them too much.
Probably wouldn't treat anyway, just curious."

Livermore, CA (East Bay Area) the bees are still rearing some brood in the
lower supers and it is too warm (59-70F days, 43-49F nights) still for them
to cluster.  They are still widely scattered throughout two super hives at
least during the warmer days - suspect they move inward some at night.
 Most days they are still flying unless we get rain.  Put on 2 lbs of
pollen supplement and a half gallon of heavy syrup just over a week ago
before it got colder and rained.  I'll be taking a house bee sample around
Thanksgiving when it is warmer to look for nosema.

Scott Ball
Livermore, CA