From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 17:35:30 -0400
> but now, there is SO MUCH available to
> read either in print or online that lack
> of homework is no excuse, IMO, for
> asking obvious questions here.

Does this mean that we can ask you for username/passwords for serials
database access from off-campus locations?
Maybe just JSTOR?  :)
I thought not.

Peter Borst has for years been amazingly generous with his time, lending
copies of the obscure and hard-to-find to anyone who would ask.

Public libraries no longer carry the usual journals in dead-trees format,
and colleges have gone all 9/11 on everyone, demanding a student ID before
allowing even access to campus libraries, and online serials access is being
priced out of reach of the public libraries, forcing them to accept crappy
packages of junk barely useful for a high school student, as it is mostly
general-interest serials, no Elsevier, Springer, or Wiley pubs.

Like Blanche DuBois, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers",
but some researchers are stranger than others, and I have to keep straight
which are pre-prints, and which are published, so that I spill no beans
before embargos are lifted.