From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 11:45:46 -0700
>> Marion Ellis ( researching OA for several years) has expressed concern at
>> presentations I have attended over treating bees with OA at any time
>> other
>> than the broodless period which is around Thanksgiving in Nebraska.
>>
>>Bob, I didn't think that Dr Ellis had ever suggested that he suspected m
>>tubule damage due to oxalic, so I checked with him.
>
> I agree! I never said he suggested M tubule damage. Read again what I
> wrote above.

Well, when you look at it with the context removed, it seems you did not,
BUT, let's be honest and look at the whole thing in context. It looks much
different when you don't conveniently edit out the previous paragraphs.

Unless you suddenly were entirely changing topic in the last paragraph, the
context indicated to readers that you were implying a relationship between
using OA during brood season and tubule damage.

You then explicitly mentioned Dr. Ellis's recommendations, which appeared to
be intended as a  backup for you own speculation.  Otherwise, why name him,
unless he somehow was involved, since the advice to use OA in the broodless
season is general and not something that is at all unique to Dr. Ellis.
Everyone says the same thing.

Let's look at what you wrote:

---
You wrote:

"Both OA & formic could be causing the M. tubules problems I have been told.

"The industry has shifted to those products. I am NOT saying those products
are the source on the M. tubules problems but only sharing what I have been
told.

"Something is damaging the malpighian tubules ( bees kidneys). Damaged
M.tubules was found in most CCD bee samples.

"Suspect are OA treatments during the brood season . OA has been around a
long time around the world and is a legal treatment in Canada. I myself have
trouble thinking OA could be causing problems but researchers have expressed
concern.

"Marion Ellis ( researching OA for several years) has expressed concern at
presentations I have attended over treating bees with OA at any time other
than the broodless period which is around Thanksgiving in Nebraska.
---

Looking at the whole thing, there was no apparent justification for
mentioning Dr. Ellis, or place his remarks in that context.  Randy was
entirely right.

Speculation is one thing, but using peoples' names in the context of
speculation is very risky and can reflect very badly on the writer, if not
carefully qualified.

Personally, I hate namedropping.  I much prefer that people NOT use my name
to back their own ideas up, and I try to be very careful when it is
sometimes necessary to quote or use the names of others.