From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:36:43 -0700
> Please, could anyone who knows email me off-list whether their
> is any scientific evidence to link the antibiotic resistance of
> AFB to GE crops?

Actually I think I may have started this rumour in a speculative piece I
published here on BEE-L some time back when I was tying together several things
I had read.

As far as I know this notion is no more proven than a causative link between
extender patties and SAFB. We tried to check it out, and one contributor checked
his technical sources and reported that a gene jockey he knew said that he knew
of no case where oxytet resistance was used as a marker for GMO crops.  That,
however, does not completely discount the possibility, but it is still a long
shot, given we have few facts, and what we do have, do not prove the idea.

Having said that, we often do not know when we have let a genie out of a bottle
until much later.

Of course, getting it back in is a whole other matter.

allen