From:
Stuart E Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:24:02 EST
Kevin demurrs....
  We really don't need another flame war on BEE-L,
>especially at this time of the year.  Can we either calm down or take
>it
>to private email??

boulder...
I don't know why it needs to be a flame war.  A position was
inferred,(that no normal listmembers doubted the traditional 'evolution'
argument), and the opposite position was stated and a reference given.
The third man in said the reference was weak and now we have calls for
abandoning the thread.  Good grief, this is a discussion group, not a
tea-party!

I'm interested and think we need simply follow the usual rules of
civility. The only ad-hominum to date was on the author of the quoted
reference(who is not a listmember<g>).  Since we're all adults here, I
don't see why an informative discussion cannot take its normal course.

Everyone has a delete button so no-one needs read any more of the thread
than they wish.

Attempts to shut down discussion seem inappropriate so long as the
subject matter is of interest to more than one listmember.  Closing
debate is commonly the tactic of those who fear close examination of
their position. Surely no one on the list falls into that category. We're
here to learn---not hide.

...boulder
If marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws