From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:30:46 -0500
> If you ignore this evidence, then, yes, it could look similar to all sorts
of things.

I have always found it interesting the pictures at the web site with a huge
number of frames of brood and no bees. Does not fit for the time of year in
the north.

Because both Lance Sundberg and David Hackenberg (the two beekeepers which
spoke directly to the media) sought out my opinion at the ABF meeting in
Austin I have got first hand knowledge of their loss. Missing bees and
strong hives two weeks before was the way both described their loss. Lance
had moved his bees from Montana at a time most bees are broodless so I have
a hard time thinking 7-8 frames of bees were left in his hives.
Hives strong and then dead was the main issue presented at the ABF meeting.

I am not sure about Pennsylvania in October. However we have all seen the
report from the state bee inspector  of Pennsylvania posted on the net
saying David Hackenberg had varroa issues in July. Lance really had not
checked his hives close after pulling supers but had treated his hives with
a essential oil for varroa ( told to us at the ABF meeting).

I have been friends with both these guys for many years and both are
respected commercial beekeepers in the world of beekeeping. I believe when
they say they had not seen hives crash so fast before. However the hives
crashing in two weeks scenario was seen by me in Florida as far back as
1998.

I personally looked at the 1200 deadout deep hive bodies  reported as CCD
from Missouri (not every box but the owner and help kept showing me frames).
The vast majority showed PMS.

I have long kept quiet on the CCD issue as I felt all research on honey bees
would benefit the industry but I so far have not spoke with a beekeeper
which had a large number of hives which fits the CCD description of 7-8
frames of brood and missing bees. I guess I will keep asking!

Has beekeepers on BEE-L which filled out the CCD loss survey had deadouts
with the *exact* CCD description. If so please say so!

However I have spoke with a huge number of beekeepers which had
unprecedented losses last fall and winter. Most think they have got an idea
the source of their losses ( drought, hard freeze in spring and of course
varroa)but signed the CCD survey hoping to get paid for their losses. In my
opinion the first step to help beekeepers would have been to pay for a
replacement package for those beekeepers ( instead of building a research
facility to research CCD but what do I know). 75 million ( senate bill) sank
the CCD help ship in my opinion when less than a million would have provided
packages to those beekeepers with documented losses.

Looks like little (if any ) real help for CCD is going to happen. Whatever
we get in the Farm bill , from the honey board and almond board will most
likely be it.

Again I would love to hear from a beekeeper which filled out the survey and
had 7-8 frames of healthy brood and NO bees. Go over what varroa and other
methods he used  and see if another reason might be explained for his
losses.

bob

--
believed to be clean.