From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2015 23:09:53 +0000
re: 'candy' and 'fondant' and "Whats the real difference to the bees??"
Different forms will work better in different circumstances.  The softer fondant may, for example, be easier for the bees to eat when water is scarce.  The differences may be small but they are real.  By having actual definitions, we can coherently track and talk about those differences and maybe finally figure out why some beekeepers see more success with one form and others with a different.

I have the following hypotheses that I wish I were able to test:1.  Fondant is easier for the bees to use when water is scarce - that is, during dry winters or on hives with high ventilation.2.  Hivetop feeders containing sugarwater require incrementally more cluster-breaks so the bees can move up those few inches.3.  Hivetop feeders are better in wet conditions (wet winters or low ventilation) because they create a condensation pattern that deposits the excess moisture into the feeder rather than the hive body.4.  Candyboards are easiest for the bees when internal conditions are comparatively wet and constantly cold (no breaks).5.  Boardman entrance feeders are a good way to feed the local ants and wasps but don't do much for the bees.

Mike Rossander