From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:51:01 -0800
> > Dave Green wrote:
>
> > When the spraying is done at night, or at least after the
> > bees are done flying, there is no real hazard to the bees.
>
> > By morning the dew has broken down the non-residual
> > pesticide and it is no longer toxic.

> Robert Post responded:

> Three problems with these comments:
>
> Firstly not all agro-chemicals are broken down over an eight hour periodk.
>
> Secondly the break-down period of eight hours is normally extended because of the
> moist and cool conditions of evening.
>
> Thirdly many agro-chemicals (or cocktails thereof) contain substances that induce
> a repellency action.

Robert, Dave Green was talking about the impact of Sumithrin insecticide
when sprayed for mosquito control. In my opinion, the scientific literature
on mosquito spraying supports Dave's comments for the following reasons:

a) Sumithrin, like resmethrin, is one of the 30 year old, first generation
 pyrethroids that has virtually no residual activity or lasting
repellency effect when applied outdoors.

b) The dosage of sumithrin or resmethrin used for mosquito spraying is
extremely small (around 1 ounce per acre = 5 gallons per square mile).
This further reduces the chances of any residual or repellency effects
interfering with bee activity.

c) Petroleum or vegetable oil (not water) is used as a carrier when applying
mosquito adulticides like sumithrin & resmethrin, in part, because they
would more rapidly break down if mixed with water.

d) Like Dave says, because the mosquito spraying is done at dusk or at
night, when the bees are not flying, there is no real hazard to the bees.

Paul Cherubini