Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:29:27 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I fail to see how this discussion belongs on BEE-L.  Does anyone care to convince me?  Otherwise, please bring it back to bees or bring it off list.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!  And I try not to waste food.

Understood Aaron!,  ponder it myself,  Here is why I think the land use and GMO debate is very important.  
We as beekeepers her in the US are dependent on land use practices.  From what ground is under cultivation,  to how its done Via the numerous pesticides. (pesticides covering Herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides)
Towards that there is a lot of misunderstanding and debate on subjects as well as prognosticating.  Most I have seen is done with very little understanding of the real picture.  A common myth right now is we are plowing up everything to plant corn.  The truth is its nonsense,  not even close.  Same with pesticides,  comments made and accepted about the huge overuse.  
It’s a balance,  more pesticides= less acres farmed  where the real balance lies or should lie  is open to discussion,  but we can't have it both ways.

My goal is simple (I have thought about why I care a lot lately) First,  I raise bees here,  so while people in Washington and NY try to make rules,  I suffer the consequences.  Such as banning Noenics.  That will be hard for me as spraying will come back up.  So education is my goal.

Second  I see beekeepers and those on this list as friends,  I don't like it when my friends have been misled. Seems simple,  but the real goal of friends it to help their other friends.  Sometimes its not clear,  but I would hope my friends try to help me not remain misinformed,  and give me other perspectives.  It does seem that here on Bee-L  that is the goal.  I know I learn a lot from the others here on other topics.

We are AG,  although we are a tiny spot,  beekeeping is agriculture,  and also very dependant on modern AG,  as such it behoves us to be a little smarter than the average bear about land use, pesticides and GMO's

We also know that GMO beekeeping is coming. WE can have some info or just be blind.

In the end,  obviously its your choice,  but it does seem to be its about run its course.  

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2