From:
GAVIN RAMSAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:20:05 +0000
The ABJ must be short of copy if it is publishing this sort of stuff these days.

C'mon then Ruth, you didn't properly answer my question on the Irish list.  Maybe I didn't express it clearly.  If bees see waggle dances pointing at a dangerous place they issue a 'stop' signal.  Now why would they do that if the dance wasn't a means of communicating locations?

You can read a commentary by Srinivasan here:

http://download.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/PIIS096098221000240X.pdf

and the original Nieh paper is here:

http://download.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/PIIS0960982210000758.pdf

Why would bees stop waggle dances if the dance doesn't convey information?

When I first heard of this work I was astounded.  Bees have a negative experience, return home, remember the bad experience and where it happened, see a message that they think is dangerous, and interfere with the message.  Amazing.

Juanse, thanks.

> PS: Yes, I won you Gavin !!!

I'll gloss over your English, as literally it sounds like you would like me to be wrapped in special paper and ribbons and delivered to Gorbea.  Unfortunately I'm too busy at the moment!

all the best

Gavin