From:
Monarch Watch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:01:25 -0600
To all: If you are within the US and wish to obtain experimental Nasanov
lures or Nasanov/petroleum jelly  preparations, you can contact me through
one of the means indicated below.  Chip

>Subject: "What's he doing NOW?" => Nassanof pheromones lures.
>(Thanks a lot, Gordon, for your English lesson :-)
>
>Hello All !
>
>I prepared my annual provision of tubes containing a Nassanof like
>compound.  It's important to prepare this just at the moment you'll
>need it because it's volatile and instable.
>
>I used a part of the recipe that John B. Free described in his book
>Social Bee Pheromones, Chapman and Hall, eds, London
>
>More details about the discoveries in 2 articles from Boch R and
>Shearer DA both in Nature(London) :
>
>   Identification of Geraniol as the active component in Nassanof
>   Pheromone of the Honey Bee     Nature 194 (1962) p704-706
>
>   Identification of Nerolic and Geranic Acid in the Nassanof
>   Pheromone of the Honey Bee     Nature 202 (1964) p320-321
>
>The recipe for 10 tubes:
>
>        * 1 ml n-hexane
>        * 100 ug (= about 0.1 ml) Citral, mixed isomers (E + Z)
>        * 100 ug (= about 0.1 ml) Geraniol
>        * 100 ug mixed isomers (E+Z) Geranic acid  and  Nerolic acid
>
>As I don't find the last 2 acids, I'm obliged to work without them.
>Free said it works but not so well that its full formula.
>
>Put 0.1 ml of the mixture in a small plastic tube (polyethylene or
>polypropylene) and close it.  I'm using Eppendorf 1.5 ml tubes.  A slight
>lemon like smell!  Put the unused tubes in a 'small', 'well closed', 'glas'
>vessel and put it in the refrigerator or freezer to wait for their use
>time.  Each closed tube is a Nassanof pheromone lure.
>
>Geraniol and Citral can be supplied both at the "Sigma Chemical Co"
>St Louis or at the "Aldrich Co" or at the "ICN" Costa Mesa CA.
>
>BTW Does anyone know where it's possible to buy the 2 acids I don't
>find in my catalogs ? It's important because seems this compounds
>really increase the efficience of the mixture.  TIA
>

>Soon ...
>
>Jean-Marie <[log in to unmask]>

Monarch Watch
EMAIL:  [log in to unmask]
DPLEX-L:  send message "info DPLEX-L" to [log in to unmask]
PHONE:  (913) 864 4051
FAX:  (913) 864 5321
SNAIL:  c/o O.R. Taylor, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. of KS, Lawrence KS 66045