Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 20:06:14 -0300
Juanse wrote:

>Fernando, would HFCS be considered an inverted sugar?

Yes because many glucouse became fructose after the hydrolysis and the adition of isomerase enzims. I think the wikipedia explanation of the HFCS process is enough https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

But the reason because we talk about "inverted sugars" is only because it was an easy and cheap method to check the hydrolysis of sugar (sucrose). We talk about inverted sugars because we are looking for monomers (glucose and fructose from sucrose). I apologize I learned something about it using an old glass and wood polarimeter with graduated terminals of bronze and a simpe home tungsten light.
Rotation of a pure sucrose solution is +66.54 but the rotation of a mixture of the same mass of monomers is -93.78 + +52.74  from fructose (levulose) and glucose (dextrose) respectivelly. As the hydrolysis of the sugar will not be 100% the sum will be from  -41.04 to the right according the percentage hydrolysed.
Here it is a simple explanation of this, a usefull table and a school project for your son http://www.iiserpune.ac.in/~bhasbapat/phy221_files/SITechPolar.pdf

From more than 20 years many beekeepers in Argentina are using HFCS to feed bees in Autumn because it was cheapper and it is more practical than to make a sugar syrup but many shadows where fall over HFCS in the last decade and it was higly questioned in the last Apimondia Congress.

>If so, based on google search Fructose have 18 mg of calcium while sugar
>have 1 mg in 100 grams. (didn't find a value for inverted sugar).

don't worry about that. When you are adding 1 g of tartaric acid per sugar kg you are adding the following molar fraction 1/150.
If you have 10 mg of calcium in one kg of sugar you have the following molar fraction of calcium 10/(40 x 1000) it seems 1/4000
Then the concentration of acid is 25 more high and in theory you can chelate the calcium from the sugar and more.

I took the importance of calcium concentration in bee proventriculus for Nosema grow form Gabriel Sarlo PhD but I don't know wich is the threshold of the risk. In nature Calcium is necesary for many physiological process. To identify this threshold could be necesary to study if the adition of acids into syrups are helping beekeeping against Nosema or not and if it is efective.

Hope Richard Cryberg could help us with this.

Best regards
Fernando
CORDOBA-ARG