From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:06:30 -0700

> >Do use the clorox neat or diluted?  If diluted, can you give the dilution
>> rate?
>
> >Very diluted. About one part Clorox to 4 parts water.

This is considered to be a rather concentrated solution, about twice as
strong as the standard 1:9 dilution rate for disinfection of food surfaces.
 However, that concentration is for "clean" surfaces.  The amount of organic
material on the surface of combs will likely require a stronger solution to
effectively kill all pathogenic spores.

Use caution if you apply bleach at the 1:4 rate--that is not considered to
be a "very diluted" solution!

I am familiar with Dr. Robert Cramer's research which Bob mentioned.
 However, I have yet to see any trials of the use of bleach on actual combs
to kill nosema or viruses, so any recommendation of an effective rate is a
rough guess.

Research by Dr. Mark Goodwin found that a 0.2% solution of bleach (sodium
hypochlorite) was effective against AFB spores, but recommends that one use
a 0.5% solution just to be sure.  That solution works out to be about 1:9
bleach to water for regular U.S. bleach (5% NaOCl).  "Ultra" bleach is 6%
NaOCl, thus about 1/5th stronger.

Randy Oliver