From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:45:47 -0600
>The drive by inspection I did last weekend during a warm spell shows
>preliminary numbers to
look like 1 or 2 in 50 Russians hives lost so far.

Drive by inspection? I thought i had heard most beekeeping terminology.

Are you sure the beekeeper lurking on the next farms Italian bees were not
simply robbing your Russian hives out? ( kidding Brian!)

In California almonds I have been *told* some beeks in the old days would
simply place the dead out in the grove with a frame of honey and the other
bees robbing would really impress the *drive by* almond grower checking his
hives.

>As others have pointed out, I think the best result with these bees is to
>keep them isolated from
other bees to keep the genetics pure.

You need in my opinion to keep the Russian as pure as possible to not use
varroa treatments. I found most needed a treatment after a couple years but
I never saw any PMS in Russian bees. The Russian best quality in my opinion
is in requeening after swarming. Close to 100% in my observations ( in
archives).
I NEVER kept Russian bees in yards with Italians as then varroa loads would
climb in the Russian hives. Not sure why.

> Every thing I have heard and read says Russian hybrids lose
the characteristics that make them so special.

What I have observed plus hybrids can posses characteristics you may not
care for. In such cases I recommend a hive tool to her as the best solution.

I am not sure what you have been told but :

> No FB treatments

The Russian bee is not immune to foulbrood.  Firsthand experience

, no varroa treatments,

Seems to go farther than any other race without treatment but when cranked
up like commercial migratory beeks do varroa loads climb to levels needing
treatment. Exactly what the Adees and Browns found when they tried the
Russian bees.

 no nosema treatments either and still no real
losses.

Nosema ceranae effects all races. I have fought N.C. in yards of
Russian/Russian bees.

>Sure the Italians can bring some cash for pollination in CA, but what is
>the overall cost of the
average high losses, multiple feed and treatment bills and all that extra
labor?  Sounds like a lot of
work and risk.

Newsflash:
Even with the high price being paid today for bulk honey the big money is in
pollination. If you go to your banker with a bunch of signed pollination
contracts you can always get money if needed. Bankers are not impressed by
stories of the big honey crop you expect to get.

Good luck with your Russian/Russian bees Brian! The Russian bee is a low
maintenance bee for sure and perhaps the best bee for your operation.

bob