Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:29:53 -0400
Lloyd Spear wrote on Tue 10/20/09 9:38 AM:

Most commercial beekeepers do not
have telescoping outer covers, and do not use inner covers.  They use a flat
outer cover, and the homosote board goes immediately under it.

Mr Spear thank you for your help.
Am I understanding correctly that you have on your hive SINGLE cover
underneath which put homasote directly on the top bars and on the top of that single cover
you put slab of 1" styrofoam?  Sorry if I appear a bit puzzled because I have not seen any commercial beekeeper
in my area that has such setup.  I like your simplicity approach.  I am planning to show your email to some
of those beekeepers.  Maybe we all can learn something.

You said:  Yes, the bees use it as an entrance and exit.  Yes, some rain probably does
get in, but does no harm.  Think of a feral hive in a tree!

Do you just wedge a piece of cedar shake between super and your single cover?  Do you see your homasote
when you look inside through opening?  No problem with heavy winds and snow?
Again thank you for your time and help. Pcelar, Western New York.