From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2017 09:45:04 -0600

You are correct that holding yards in Calif are stocked far beyond the ability to provide forage.  I agree with Charlie that this is a common practice, although Adees practice it to the extreme.

Feedlot beekeeping is thus practiced by necessity.  And yes, the whole thing is stressful for colonies, and helps in transmission of pathogens and parasites.  I am not placing any judgement--simply saying that that's the way it is.

Another weekend In CA looking at bees in almonds, and talking to owners,  One thing is apparent,  the feedlot you see in CA is also happening in FL, and TX.  Commercial beeks wanting to do almonds in  large numbers are flocking to the warmer climates to winter larger and larger hives.   Many in TX and FL are even making Dec and Jan splits to do almonds.  This is putting a huge strain on beekeeping and professional relationships in these areas as well as the strain on bees.

This season is the first I recall in a long time being long on bees in CA,  but the acreage in almonds continues to increase so I suspect things will continue to get more crowded in an warm climate areas.

Charles