Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 07:42:41 PDT
Hello Eugene,

You wrote:

<<I'm a small-time beekeeper with 3 hives.  I use a 4-frame hand extractor and a an uncapping knife.

How do I separate the honey from my uncappings?  I drain it, but there's still a lot in there.>>

I have used a 5 gallon paint strainer in a plastic bucket.

The strainer is a bag made with cloth like sheer curtains are made from and has an elastic ribbon around the top.  With the strainer installed inside the bucket with the elastic around the top of the bucket to hold it up, decap directly into the bucket.  A board with a nail projecting up a small amount to balance the frame on helps tremendously.

When done decaping or the bucket is full, you use a mop handle or some such thing, layed across the top of the bucket, to tie the strainer to.  This is accomplished by lifting the elastic over the mop handle from opposite sides and using a simple knot (it does not take much, especially if sticky with honey!).  I then pull the strainer out of the bucket, using the mop handle, and set the mop handle ends on the counter in my kitchen (in the corner) or on any two objects that will hold it up high enough, with the bucket under it.

I use the same general system under the spout of the extractor for the honey.

The paint strainers are available in most hardware stores and paint stores.  Cost is usually $1.50 - $2.50 each and they are reuseable.  Wash them well before use.

Dennis Morefield
Sideline Beekeeper,  100 colonies(at times!), Oregon, USA