Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:17:57 GMT+0200
Hi All

I have just been wondering what the stance is in areas where bees are
an introduced species towards their presence in Nature reserves?

Do Park rangers actively get rid of the bees so that their
pollination presence does not skew the plant populations from what it
should have been? (It seems that if one has an unatural pollinator
not suited to an otherwise natural plant population, you will end up
with a sort of over pollination of certain plants and under
pollination of others because of bee hive fidelity which is not a
factor with other pollinators like Bombus, but the bees competition
will reduce Bombus populations etc)

 The thought of those poor rangers in Arizona in the
Grand Canyon on long ladders and absailing equipment getting rid of
AHB cliff colonies already makes me wonder!

Also in Australia and New Zealand?

Just a thought.

Garth

(Who loves the honey flow from those unatural Australian trees that
each are an aerial forest in their own right!)
---
Garth Cambray       Kamdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800ml annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

3rd year Biochemistry/Microbiology    Rhodes University
In general, generalisations are bad.
Interests: Flii's and Bees.