From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2011 20:13:50 -0400
I was wondering if any northern beekeepers
are seeing resurgence in feral population,
combined with low levels of varroa in
domestic colonies.

Some observations in my area:
I've observed a dramatic surge in the feral
population. Wintering survival was 100% in
singles, compared to 60% or less priorly. A noticeable
improvement in brood viability. Domestic colonies
are maintaining very low levels of mites, without
mite controls and regardless of cell size.  A neighbor
bought out a beekeeper from a 'distant place', and the
colonies were witnessed by the bee inspector
to have a mite load, within 2 years, as far as I
know they are same stock and now reflect the
same low levels of mites typically found in the area.
Finally, I am getting a respectable surplus.

Swarms seem to be healthy.  From 1996, my methods
were to check swarms placed on foundation, before
7 days have passed, and replace undrawn foundation
with comb, to preserve foundation for swarms.  This
method I adopted because of unknown stress factors
were slowing early comb drawing and expansion in
swarms.  But this season, it is typical to see 10 frames
drawn in about 7 days, much quicker than prior years.

Not making any claims,
reason for improvement in health is unknown.
Just relating my observations in this area.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
SW Pennsylvania