From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:35:34 +0200
Stan said

"I find here that it is very difficult anyway to get the bees to work
the late bloom  .."

"They are paying for the bees and as long as they see flowers they
think the bees should be there, even if almost all of them are
in the apples."

In fact you are describing the correct situation. Bees are going to apples,
acacias, eucaliptus an other flowers. Not many visiting the berry fields.

How ever there are still flower to be pollinated, specially on late
varieties (like briggita, duke and the like).

żAny ideas on how to "force" the bees to work the blueberries?

We tried past season with "sleeping" them with amoniun nitrate in the
smoker. It worked for some 3 to 5 days.

We know that the late fruit is of small diameter because of poorer
pollination.

We worked for 24 hour non stop and 2/3 of the colonies are closed in the
hive. We place a frame feeder full of water and a mesh instead of the roof.
The other third stayed like always for "keeping" pollination service.

I will try monday with taking out capped brood frames with bees atached so
as to reduce colony size (from full box with super to half box). This will
also reduce the risk of apple pollen contamination.

Well, good night,  I deserve (and need) some sleep...
--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.