From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:03:05 EDT
The following message was submitted by <[log in to unmask]> to
BEE-L list at CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU.  It has been edited to improve format.

------------------ Original message (ID=35BACD) -------------------------------
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:41:35 +0100
To: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
From: Dr Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Effects of Bayvarol and Apistan on Acarine

Hi Tom,

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Computer Software
Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hello All
>What effects if any has the use of Bayvarol and Apistan on the Acarine mite
>- acarapis woodi?

Neither product has any real effect on Acarapis; you need to use a
vapour-producing treatment.

>He is presently putting Bayvarol strips into some of his hives to
>combat acarine.  He does not yet have varroa. I heard that it is not
>advisable to use a varroa treatment when varroa is not present, and
>told him so.

Yes, I agree. Why waste money treating if there's nothing to treat? Even
if there are 1 or 2 mites why treat? Eventually you may need to but
until it's at a threatening population level, why bother?

>He is also putting methylsalicylate into his hives ...

No comment, except it's dangerous and illegal.

--
Dr Max Watkins
Director, Vita (Europe) Limited, UK